Friday, September 2, 2016

Lucky Man

Some say I'm lucky to be alive. I never thought so. As I've said before, surviving has been part of a long-term plan. Before I got GBS I lived a relatively easy life. But I knew the pendulum was going to eventually swing the other way and I knew I might not have been able to avoid letting it hit me in the head. I didn't know if I was going to get hit by a bus, or get a terrible infection, or cancer, or a rare autoimmune condition. But I knew if I was fit it wouldn't be the end of me. So I'm not lucky to be alive, I was prepared for this.Well, maybe living in the greatest city in the world, that attracts the smartest doctors who all compete for my business helped a little.

Yeah, I am lucky to have been born and raised in New York City.  I'm also lucky to have friends who will take this walk with me and share these pictures at the Brooklyn Bridge Park Open Run.



This....




This...

.

This....



Lucky enough to appreciate the fact that when I finish last I get to be greeted like this



 Usain Bolt celebrates with fans in Rio
after winning the 200m final at the Olympic
 Stadium on Thursday.
Photograph: Ryan Pierse/Getty Images
Here's something I've been struggling with.... I didn't know why people are cheering for me. But then I watched the Olympics and I was really happy when Usain Bolt won the triple triple. I don't know why, but it was joyous to watch someone achieve their goals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing myself to the fastest man ever. I'm just saying that maybe neither one of us would be achieving our goals if there was no one waiting at the finish line to cheer for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You do not have to be nice!

This is not me

This is not me
Not me.

Blog Archive